Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Primary School Girl's Intercultural Experience (Edited)

I attended Sekolah Kebangsaan St Anne’s Convent for primary education. Although it is a convent, it is predominantly Malay (some national schools have more Chinese and Indian kids especially reputable ones like La Salle and Anglo Chinese School Klang) where in my class of 30 there were only three Chinese and a few Indians. That did not seem to bother me or any of my non-Malay friends as we got along well with the Malay kids. Malay was spoken almost all the time and English occasionally. Languages other than these two were strictly forbidden – you would be fined (20 cents each time) if you were caught speaking in mandarin, hokkien or tamil. A slip of the tongue occurred once in a while, which would immediately be hushed as though a disgusting swear word had been uttered.

A day in a typical Malay school starts with the morning prayer. The Malays will pray while the non-Malays will stand in silence with their heads bowed. When a Malay teacher enters a class, she will be greeted with Selamat Pagi Cikgu (Good Morning Teacher) by the whole class followed by Assalamualaikum Cikgu from the Malay students only. Not knowing initially that non-Malays are not required to do the latter, I followed suit, only to induce hoots of laughter from my Malay friends. A pretty humiliating experience that I am sure did not happen to me alone.

For the Malays, if you have to walk in front of an elderly person, you should bend your body as a sign of respect. I did that once at home when walking in front of my late grandfather and got reprimanded for being hunchbacked and not walking properly. And when you walk past a teacher, you are expected to greet the teacher. What I used to do was bending my body and greeting my teacher at the same time. Now when I think about it, it was not a good practice as I did not establish eye contact with my teacher and I was actually greeting the floor by bending my body!

As a kid, you would most probably be eager to learn new stuffs. I did, much to the displeasure of my parents. I tried singing syair (poem recited in the form of a song) at home. My parents, not understanding Malay well, thought I had been converted to some sort of religious fanatic. There was one thing which I feel upset my parents the most. In Year 3, we were assigned to make slippers from cardboard during one of my arts lessons. We measured the size of our feet so that we could wear the shoes when they were done. Coloured papers and beads were used for decoration. At home, I proudly wore my masterpiece. My mother was not impressed and felt that my Malay teacher was insensitive to the Chinese culture. I freaked out after learning that paper-made shoes are among the items burnt for the dead besides silver paper. Since my shoes had been graded, I immediately threw them away.

Despite all the intercultural differences, I know my parents never regret their decision in
sending me to a Malay school. It was nevertheless, not an easy decision, not when you have a Chinese school with excellent reputation and facilities (courtesy of many Chinese philanthropists) just across the street while the Malay school has no reputation, lousy facilities, and the best part is, they had to drive me to school. This is what my parents used to tell me :"Speak Malay with the Malay kids, speak English with the Indian kids, and Mandarin? Speak at home-lah".

9 comments:

  1. Hi Wan Wei,

    I had the same fine in class too! It was an attempt to make us speak more English. Your entry is refreshing to me as it illustrates how a Malay school works. It is quite different from the local schools here.

    “Malay was spoken almost all the time, English occasionally, other than these two, strictly forbidden” You may want to rephrase this sentence as it is not clear what was strictly forbidden. A suggestion: “Malay was spoken almost all the time and English occasionally. Other than these two languages, the rest are strictly forbidden.”

    In the second paragraph, you may want to explain what Assalamualaikum Cikgu means. It is not clear why it is not appropriate for a non-Malay student to say that.

    “I tried singing syair (poem recited in the form of a song) at home that my parents, not understanding Malay well, thought I had been converted to some sort of religious fanatic.” I think breaking this sentence into two will make it more coherent. “I tried singing syair (poem recited in the form of a song) at home. My parents, not understanding Malay well, thought I had been converted to some sort of religious fanatic.”

    Overall, your entry contains good examples of the cultural differences between Malays and Chinese. I believe this is a sensitive issue as both races have a high context culture with respect to their faith and beliefs.

    Cheers,
    Chee Siang

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chee Siang,

    Thanks for commenting. Yeah, you are right, I forgot to clarify the Assalamualaikum Cikgu part. Cikgu is teacher in Malay while Assalamualaikum is a greeting used by Muslims when they meet, before entering somebody's house (this practice is prominent in rural areas where a guest will knock on the door of the owner's house and call out "Assalamualaikum" before entering. The owner will then reply with "Waalaikummusalam, silalah masuk" (Waalaikummusalam is the reply to the assalamualaikum greeting while silalah masuk means please come in)and at the starting of a speech.To simplify things, you can say that it's like a "hello". The greeting is not required of non-Malays, but not forbidden at the same time. It just feels weird to say it when you are not a Malay, or more accurately, a Muslim.

    I appreciate your suggestions as I did not realize that my blogpost was not clear and some of my sentences were quite long. Thanks again for pointing them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wanwei!

    Your post is indeed a good insight into how malaysia primary schools function as compared to Singapore primary schools! Just in case you don't know, I am extremely interested in malay language and am planning to take all the way to level 4000 Bahasa Melayu in NUS. Malay language is just something super intriguing to me! I can understanding most of the malay words used in your post without the english translations. =P (YAY!)

    Actually, from my own understanding, I feel that all along Malaysia has indeed placed a very big emphasis on the Malay culture and kind of neglected the rest of the racial cultures. Hence I do understand why your mother felt that way about your paper shoes. It would definitely be better if Malaysia could learn from Singapore about treating all race and religions equally since we all come from multi racial societies. If i'm not wrong, malays are given higher priority in entering their local universities than other races is it? (Correct me if i'm wrong)I strongly feel that it is a bad practice that other languages are strictly forbidden in schools. It takes away other races' sense of their own mother tongue languages!

    Just a few grammar errors to point out:

    1)2nd paragraph: 'Would' should be replaced by 'will' since it is still a current practise in schools

    2)2nd parag: It should be "non malays WERE not required to do the latter..."

    3)3rd parag: It should be "Now WHEN I think ABOUT it, ...."

    In the last paragraph, perhaps you could expand a little bit more on your evaluation about how you felt about such practises in school and your preferance of studying in a malay school or a chinese school.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah,
    Thanks for pointing out the grammatical errors. I wasn't sure about the "woulds" in the second paragraph.

    Wow, you plan to take Malay all the way to level 4000. Good for you, we can converse in Bahasa Melayu sometime after lessons, and Brad can join us, haha!

    As I came from a Malay primary school, naturally more emphasis will be placed on Malay cultures. But I am sure things are different in Chinese and Tamil schools (or as we call them Chinese and Tamil type national schools).I don't think Malaysia or as I prefer to say, the Malaysian government of the day neglects cultures of other races. But we do have issues when it comes to funding allocation or plans to build more national type schools/ chinese primary schools, no thanks to the Little Napoleons in the government. Priority for Malay students in allocating scholarships and places in local universities (for critical courses especially)is an old issue, an annual pain in the ass, and quite inappropriate to comment here.

    Our government does have a lot to learn from yours but I doubt I will live to see that day. Nevertheless, I should keep my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wan Wei! With respect to Sarah’s comments, I feel that there is a subtle but regulated need to control certain restrictions for languages that are not required for the subject teachings or conversations with the teachers. I remember that in my secondary school, my English teacher will impose fines for students that speak any other languages or dialects other than English. In the past, I used to deter that practice, but now I get to understand the rationale of doing it. It does, in one way or another, help to inculcate the proper use of language at appropriate times. I mean, how will you feel if you are teaching let’s say, Chemistry in a class via English medium, but the students converse in Malay or Chinese or even Punjabi!? Instead, mother tongue languages are used during mother tongue language lessons, and similarly, no English to be used for language classes! (However, since the implementation of the ‘Speak good English’ campaign, there was a restriction of speaking mother tongue languages and dialects at ANY point of time in school)

    Your story has provided me the insight of the different practices between schools in Singapore and Malaysia. This issue for itself already serves as a good intercultural difference. However, does it involve a difference in cultural belief/view, or chuck into the domain of ‘biasness’? Just a question I would like to pose to the floor.

    I presume that you have changed and edited the blog since I cannot observe the mistakes that Chee Siang and Sarah pointed out. The transition of the story is rather smooth and though it is long, I never get switched off while reading it! However, I have a question: Are the Malay schools really not reputable and have lousy facilities? I’m just being curious.

    Regards,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ivan,

    Thanks for commenting. Not all Malay schools have lousy facilities as I have been to schools which are well-equipped. It is just that the primary school I attended was really old but the last time I checked, the school seemed to have undergone some minor upgrading works. In Malaysia, philanthropists (mainly Chinese) donate to Chinese schools as they are not fully subisidised by the government. Malay or national schools seldom receive huge amount of donations as the public has the general perception that national schools are fully subsidised by the government. I don't think Malay schools are fully subsidised by the government but the fund allocated is more than that of Chinese/Tamil schools. That's why in the past, whenever I approached relatives and neighbours with donation cards for some fundraising projects, I had people saying straight to my face" We don't donate to Malay school, the government already tax us so much and most of the money will end up in Malay schools anyway".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Wan Wei. This is a good description that is very informative. I didn't know anything about the typical day in a national school in Malaysia, so I feel that I've learned something here.

    Your description also provides a clear context for the incident involving you and the paper shoes. Clearly, there isn't enough known by members of the various cultural groups in Malaysia -- even when they are teachers -- about the values, beliefs and norms of the other groups. That the ministry of education and the government seem to make so little effort in this regard is also surprising.

    In this post you would have taken the discussion one step ahead by evaluating this situation from a critical perspective, I suppose. But I really appreciate you sharing this story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wan Wei, thanks for sharing this post with us! My class also had the fine system, but it was for curse words. Haha! Anyway, I think that it is good that you tried to follow the Malay customs, like greeting the teacher with 'Assalamualaikum'. It was definitely the polite thing to do, even though it might not have been necessary; it was simply showing respect to the teacher, so I'm supporting you there on that matter.

    I think that you have managed to give many clear instances of cross-cultural conflicts. Good job!

    ReplyDelete