Saturday, September 5, 2009

Internship Application Letter (Edited)

Post : Chemical Analyst
Company : Schering Plough LTD

Job description:

  • Perform chemical test on the in process control sample, intermediates, cleaning and final drug substances
  • Maintain complete and accurate recording of all tests performed in assigned record books and worksheet
  • Perform regular calibration and maintenance of laboratory instruments as assigned
  • Assist in maintaining good housekeeping of the laboratories

Requirements:

  • Meticulous
  • Self-motivated
  • Able to work under pressure
  • Good time management skills
  • Team player

Heng Wan Wei
Ridge View Residences
25 Lower Kent Ridge Road
Singapore 119081

2nd September 2009

Dr. Lynn Tan Yi Ling
Human Resources Director
Schering Plough LTD
50 Tuas West Drive
Singapore 638408

Dear Dr. Tan,

Internship – Chemical Analyst

From your company’s website, I learned that you are looking for a chemical analyst intern. It has always been my passion to join the pharmaceutical industry and I believe I am a perfect candidate for this position. An opportunity to serve as an intern at your organization would also enable me to contribute to your company with the credentials I possess.

As stated in my resume, I am currently in my second year at the National University of Singapore, persuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry. I believe I am equipped with the necessary skills to perform the tasks required of a chemical analyst through the rigorous practical sessions I have undergone. Inorganic and organic laboratory sessions have provided me with much experience in carrying out chemical tests while those of physical and spectroscopy have equipped me with skills in handling and calibrating lab instruments. In addition, I am also adept at using Microsoft Excel for systematic recording and analysis of test results especially those of spectroscopy.

The various extra-curricular activities I participated in university and back in my secondary school have helped me refine my soft skills. It was stated in the advertisement that one needs to be meticulous , and I believe I am one such person. Having been a member of the photography committee for my hall of residence last year, I needed to be really particular in selecting photographs for Temasek Hall’s 20 O’Clock, website and Photo Exhibition Week. Also, being the president for the Science and Mathematics Society when I was in my secondary school required me to work under pressure as the society has maintained a good reputation over the years and my teacher advisor had high expectations of me.

I am also a person with good time management skills which is required for this position as I was able to engage myself in a lot of activities such as acapella, Temasek Hall productions, and badminton. When I was in Form 6, I was part of the team representing my school in the National Water Conservation Project organized by Cargill Malaysia in collaboration with the Malaysian Nature Society. We won the competition and I think we can attribute part of our success to our spirit of teamwork. Besides that, the numerous working experiences I have gained through vacation jobs make me a more practical person and hone my interpersonal skills. The frequent dealings with customers and interaction with colleagues equipped me with good communication skills.

I am very interested in the hands-on aspects of this internship. From what I read, I believe that such a position at your company and the interaction with the people there would be a truly valuable experience. It would definitely be a platform to develop and strengthen my fundamental skills in research so that I could contribute to this ever-expanding field.

Although the accompanying resume illustrates my background well, I would appreciate the opportunity to be interviewed to better demonstrate my abilities. I can be contacted at my email address or mobile phone number as stated on my resume. Thank you for your review and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Ms Heng Wan Wei
Enclosure: online resume

7 comments:

  1. Hi Wan Wei!

    I especially like your letter because your language is simple and easy to understand! Also, you link your stengths back to the requirements needed!

    I have a suggestion though. I feel that it could be better if you could make the topic sentence of each paragraph (of the body) in the first line. E.g state that you feel that you have good time management skills (which is 1 of the requirements because ......... etc etc. It will make the reader want to read further. =) Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Wan Wei, just love your letter! It definitely links back to the job requirements via your experiences which are very well-elaborated on. Good job!
    I also like that you have researched the name of the HR manager for Schering Plough.

    On the other hand, I think you could show more interest for the job in the opening. This: 'From your company’s website, I learned that you are looking for a chemical analyst intern and I believe I have the necessary credentials for the position advertised.' shows that you have self-confidence, which is good. However, you could add in a more personal reason as to why you chose this particular internship other than just because you fitted the requirements.

    :) - Abigail -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wan Wei,

    I think you can exclude “in search of an internship opportunity..”. It sounds like this company is just one of the many internships that you have found or contacted. This might be true but i do not think it is advisable to let the reader have that feeling too. I think you can just start immediately with “I am writing in response to the advertisement on your company’s website for a chemical analyst intern. I believe I possess the necessary credentials for the position advertised.”

    You can leave the introduction to the second paragraph. By the way, “I am a Year 2 chemistry major…” sounds as if you are the major.

    I feel that “especially now that I am in Year 2” does not seem necessary. I like the way you elaborate on how your lab sessions have equipped you with the specific skills. Perhaps you might want to specify what computer skills you are talking about.

    In Paragraph 3,
    I think it should be “Being a member…” instead of “Having been a…” and “I need to be…” instead of “I needed to be…” (I am not very sure about this though. I thought it sounds weird when reading the whole sentence.)

    You may also want to elaborate on the photograph selection process. For those of us who do not know the work invovled, selecting photographs does not seem very taxing.

    “do my share of work” sounds like you are doing the bare minimum. Maybe you can try to use words like excel, perform etc.

    In paragraph 4, you may want to elaborate on what you have done to illustrate your teamwork. Try not to use “I think…” It sounds that you are unsure about it. Try to show more confidence and pride in what you have done. I think it is also good to list 1 or 2 examples of your vacation job to support your claim of a “more practical person and hone my interpersonal skills.”

    Your paragraph 5 seems to show that you are more concern about yourself. I am not sure if that is advisable. (Although I know that is what we students want to achieve for internship)

    In your closing, I feel that you can remove “Although the accompanying resume illustrates my background well” I feel it is as if you have doubts with your own resume.

    The above comments are just my personal opinions and they may be wrong too. :P

    Overall, the letter is simple to read which is good. You have also addressed the requirements. Just slightly more examples on some points and it would be great. I personally think that your letter could have been more positive. Have confidence in yourself!

    (I know it is difficult. I have the same problems too. I took a very long time with my application letter too. Try to steer your experience towards the great side although you might find it rather ordinary. That was what I tried to do. Hope that helps.)

    Cheers,
    Chee Siang

    ReplyDelete
  4. In paragraph 2, I feel it is unnecessary to refer the reader to the list of modules that you have taken. (It is also quite inappropriate to include them in your resume) Given NUS' reputation, he can trust the college to provide a sound and quality education. What interests the reader more is whether you have the attitude and ability to pick up new skills on the job.

    Regarding whether you should dwell on your aspirations in paragraph 5, Brad has mentioned in his email that is is alright for internship application. However, what you have written does not sound persuasive enough. For instance, you did not explain why you have a passion for research.

    Some language errors:
    Para 2, sentence 2: carrying (out) chemical tests
    Para 3, sentence 1: (have) participated in university

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Wan Wei,

    Per your question:

    The following phrase from paragraph #5 maybe too "me focused": ...will provide me a background necessary for a future career in research.

    It would be better to mention how this experience will enrich your development, and indirectly, your ability to contribute to the research field.

    Your classmates have given lots of good feedback. Thanks to all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Wan Wei! I remember reading your application in class last week, and as compared to before, your application has made tremendous improvements! The first paragraph has a nice soft touch on your interest in the internship (It is okay to be a little more confident and firm on this portion). Moreover, I am glad to see that you have done a rather good job stitching the job requirements, and your skills cum qualifications. Especially in the last two paragraphs, you injected more confidence and at the same time, you have shown your humility.

    However, here are some points you might want to take note of:
    -Second paragraph’s first sentence is a little too long, splitting it up makes it easier for the readers to digest.
    -Include in the second paragraph of any prior knowledge or any relevant odd job experience that allows you to carry out good housekeeping of the laboratories.

    Other than those points, I must say that I kind of like this letter and I will personally grant you an opportunity for an interview if I am the reader! Good job!

    Regards,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello WanWei!

    I was one half of the pair who reviewed your resume and application letter back in class last week and I have to say, the letter has really improved tremendously. You definitely exude a much more confident persona in this letter!

    However, I find that in the 2nd paragraph, your first sentence seems to be a little lengthy and fragmented. Maybe it could be better if you ended your first sentence after "... I have completed in my course of study." and start with a new sentence after that? And it would be clearer if you phrased it in this manner: " After having gone through 2 years of rigorous practical sessions..." Just a suggestion!

    I also felt that the part about teamwork could be a little tricky. Maybe you could have replaced the sports involvement with group projects that you've handled thus far? Somehow I feel that there is a difference between teamwork in sports and teamwork in a working environment. You could also have mentioned what are the types of vaction jobs that you had undertaken and how they benefitted you as it may help the employer achieve a better gauge of her capability.

    Cheers,
    Yuan Ru

    ReplyDelete